The West African Examination Council, WAEC, has begun the sale of its WAEC GCE registration for private candidates.
The WAEC GCE registration form began selling on Monday, 10th of July, 2023 and will end on Sunday, 13th of August 2023.
In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about WAEC GCE and how to register for the form.
If you only want to read about how you can register for WAEC GCE, click here.
What is WAEC GCE 2nd series?
In December 2017, WAEC announced that it will begin to hold WAEC GCE exams twice a year; the first set to hold by January/February (1st series) while the second set will hold by August/September (2nd series). Before then, WAEC GCE exams were held only once a year.
The sales of the WAEC GCE 2nd series registration form usually commence around July while the exam holds from August to September.
After writing the WAEC GCE exams, the results come out within 40 to 45 days.
Candidates that failed subject(s) in the WAEC SSCE exam or NECO SSCE exam and still want to get admitted in this academic session can use the WAEC GCE exam as a backup plan.
Candidates must complete the WAEC GCE registration within two weeks of accessing the GCE registration portal before the deadline.
Where to Buy WAEC GCE Registration Pin
The pin will be used for the registration. When you purchase the WAEC GCE pin, you will be given an information VCD. The GCE Registration pin can be gotten at the following places;
- Online (Read our article on how to buy WAEC GCE pins online)
- Access Bank Plc
- Ecobank Ltd
- Fidelity Bank Plc
- First Bank Of Nigeria
- Guaranty Trust Bank (GTB)
- WEMA Bank
- First City Monument Bank
- Heritage Bank
- JAIZ Bank
- Sterling Bank
- Polaris Bank.
- Stanbic IBTC Bank
- Standard Chartered Bank
- Union Bank of Nigeria
- Zenith Bank
- United Bank of Africa (UBA)
- Unity Bank PLC
How to Register for the WAEC GCE Examination
The easiest way to do the WAEC GCE registration is by going to a cyber cafe close to you. However, if you have a computer at home, you can attempt the registration by your self by following the steps below;
Step 1: Purchase the WAEC GCE Registration Pin
Visit any of the stipulated outlets to purchase the WAEC GCE registration pin or purchase online here. The pin costs from 18,000 to 19,500 depending on where you purchase it from.
Step 2: Download the WAEC Biometrics Data Capture Software
The West African examination council has a special software it uses to capture candidates’ biometrics, you can download the software from here.
Step 3: Fill in your Name and Capture your Thumb and Face
Fill in your correct surname, first name and middle name. Also, enter your correct date of birth and gender. Make sure you fill all parts of the forms correctly.
Note: If your names or date of birth are not entered correctly, you may not be able to change it later on.
Enter a username and password. You will need this in step 4.
Capture your finger print using a finger print scanner and capture your face using a webcam.
Step 4: Select your Exam Town and Subjects
When you are done with Step 3, a profile will be created for you on the WAEC SSCE registration portal.
Visit the WAEC registration portal here.
Log in with the username and password you entered in Step 3.
Once you are logged in, select the subjects you want to attempt in the exam and the town where you want to write the exam.
Submit the form when you are done.
Step 5: Preview the Information
Cross-check the information you filled in so far. Make sure your names are correct, also make sure the subjects you chose are in line with the course you want to study at a tertiary instution.
Click the submit button if you are satisfied with information on your screen.
At this stage, a WAEC examination number and exam centre will be generated for you
Step 6: Print your Exam Photocard
Click the print button or ctrl+p to print your WAEC exam photocard.
You will need this to gain entry into the exam hall.
The WAEC examination photocard contains your WAEC exam number, name, subjects you are attempting in the exam and a free WAEC result checker pin.
You can make a photocopy of the photocard and keep it somewhere safe. You could also scan and upload it to Google drive.
Step 7: Join CareerPal on WhatsApp for Updates
When you are done with the WAEC GCE registration, you need to join a community where you can get study materials, career updates and scholarship opportunites to make your career journey easier.
You can get all these by joining CareerPal on WhatsApp and viewing our WhatsApp status. Click here to join.
General Information for WAEC GCE Exam
- Examination fees are not refundable after purchase.
- Candidates should view the VCD they were given after purchase of pin before they register for the examination.
- Candidates should ensure they print the examination Timetable at the completion of their registration. This is to ensure they know their exam date and time.
- Entries must be uploaded with good quality passport size photographs, not “wait and get” photographs. The background of such photographs MUST NOT BE BLUE OR RED. The size should be 275 by 314 pixels. Entries with unacceptable passport photographs will be rejected.
- Candidates should go through the WAEC GCE Syllabuses and regulations as well as the Timetable for the examination which they can download from WAEC’s website (www.waeconline.org.ng) using their registration PIN.
- Candidates should go to the exam hall with mufti. Uniforms of any kind are not allowed
- The whole results of candidates who sit for the exam in more than one centre will be seized.
- Smoking and alcohol are not allowed in the examination hall.
- Candidates that come into the examination hall with a mobile phone, or electronic or communication gadgets will have his/her entire results cancelled.
- All candidates must ensure that their entries are correctly uploaded, as the Council will not be held responsible for errors in candidates’ particulars. request for correction will be entertained on any information which a candidate voluntarily gives at the point of registration as soon as the examination commences.
- Candidates must come into the examination hall with their original photo cards.
- Candidates who engage in examination malpractice will not only have their results cancelled but may be prosecuted.
Important Tips for WAEC GCE Candidates
1. Choose the Right Subject Combination
Some candidates pick the wrong subject combinations during their G.C.E registrations.
Your subject combination should tally with the course you want to study in a higher institution.
Before applying for the GCE form, you should check the subject combination of the course you want to apply for in tertiary institutions first. This would help you avoid future mishaps. If you come to Lagschools Cafe for registration, we will help you select the best subjects for the course you want to study.
Some of the mandatory subjects include;
Art candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Literature in English and Government.
Commercial candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Economics, Commerce, Accounting and Government.
Science candidates: Mathematics, English Language, Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Geography.
2. Cross Check your Biodata
Your bio-data are your names, date of birth, state of origin and local government of origin.
Once you are done with your registration, make sure you check if this information was filled in correctly on your form.
You can check your birth certificate to see how your names are arranged and your date of birth.
3. Try to Make Good Grades at One Sitting
It is always advisable you get good grades in your core subjects at one sitting so that when you are applying for tertiary education, you can use a single result instead of combining.
Some schools give bonus marks to candidates who apply with one result.
While applying for tertiary institutions, a single mark matters a lot.
4. Write down your Examination Number
Some candidates misplace their exam numbers after writing the WAEC GCE exam. This could be an issue when you need to check your result or collect the original certificate.
If we registered for you, we will keep your exam number for you and provide it whenever you need it.
5. Download the WAEC GCE Timetable
You definitely do not want to miss your exams. Downloading a copy of the WAEC GCE timetable to your device allows you to access it anytime. You could also print the timetable out for easier access.
Click here to download the WAEC GCE exam timetable.
We hope this article has shown you all you need to know about the WAEC GCE registration for the 2023/2024 academic session. You may also want to see our article on answers to WAEC frequently asked questions.
If you liked this article, please join us on WhatsApp for more educational updates.
You can also share this article with your friends by using the share buttons below.